- About IAU
- Services and Publications
- HEDBIB - Bibliographic Database
- HEP - Scholarly Publication
- IAU Horizons - Magazine
- IAU Global Surveys
- WHED Portal/ IHU - Reference Publications
- ISAS (2.0) - Internationalization Service
- Information Centre
- External Links
- Global Academy Jobs (GAJ)
- Specialized Portals
The IAU hosted an online mini-seminar on 11 March 2015 as part of Open Education Week. The event was organised with those who participated in the Validation Workshop for the IAU Training and Support Programme for Academic Librarians on Open Educational Resources (OER), in Accra, Ghana in 2013. It provided an opportunity to discuss recent developments in OER in libraries and universities in Africa and to agree follow-up actions.
Validation Workshop of the IAU Project on OER and the Academic Librarian with specific focus on the African Region
The first stage of the IAU project, the Validation Workshop, took place in Accra, Ghana on 12 and 13 September 2013. It received funding from UNESCO's Participation Programme and was organised in partnership with the Association of African Universities (AAU), an IAU Member organization.
The objectives of the Validation Workshop were:
- To update participants’ knowledge of OER;
- To raise awareness of the role(s) of the Academic Librarian in OER within and beyond their institution;
- To improve and validate the IAU Project;
- To promote cooperation and to launch the first IAU community of librarians for OER.
Twenty-six participants from ten African countries took part in the Workshop. These included university librarians from IAU Member higher education institutions in Botswana, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Nigeria, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zimbabwe.
Read the Validation Workshop Report
Isabelle Turmaine, IAU – Presentation of the workshop
Catherine Ngugi, OER Africa, Kenya – OER in Africa: use & re-use for library services
Susan d’Antoni, Athabasca University, Canada (through Skype) – World map of OER initiatives
Buhle Mbambo-Thata, UNISA Head Librarian, South Africa – OERs at UNISA – a perspective from the library
Isabelle Turmaine, IAU – The IAU training and support programme for academic librarians on OER use, reuse, and production
For further information
Amanda Sudic, IAU Librarian / Documentalist
Isabelle Turmaine, IAU Director, Information Projects and Services