- About IAU
- Services and Publications
- Member's area
IAU Horizons, World Higher Education News
IAU Horizons, the Association's news and information magazine is addressed primarily to IAU Member Institutions and Organizations, but is also sent to a selected audience beyond the IAU Membership such as Ministries of Higher Education, international organizations, national and regional associations of universities and others.
Published three times a year, each issue is devoted to a special 'In Focus' topic of interest and debate for the higher education community worldwide.
Each issue also features the following sections: IAU Activities, upcoming events and specific projects the IAU has undertaken; IAU Collaboration and Networking; Membership News; New Publications; and a global Calendar of Events.
IAU Horizons is available in paper format in English and French and electronically.
Important IAU Dates
IAU met in Salford, UK
- Report on IAU Administrative Meeting
- Around the world with the Board
- Report on the IAU Global Meeting of Associations (GMA-V)
Reports on IAU Projects IAU Collaboration and Networking IAU Membership News
In Focus: Innovative Approaches to Doctoral Education in Africa
- Innovative Approaches to Doctoral Education in Africa – an introduction, by Hilligje Van’t Land, IAU
- Restructuring PhD Programmes at the University of Ghana, by Ernest Aryeetey, Ghana
- The Direction of Doctoral Research in Nigeria, by Abdul Ganiyu Ambali, Nigeria
- Research and Doctoral Programmes in Africa : the need for Genuine Approach, by Paulino Lima Fortes, Cape Verde
Institutional Reform and innovation / Mission and Vision
- Meeting the Challenges of Changing needs in Postgraduate Education and Research Training: The Case of Kenyatta University, by Michael Wainaina Mwaura, Kenya
- Innovative Doctoral Education: The Foundation for Revitalisation of Higher Educaton in Zimbabawe, by Gospell Matondi and Handsen Tibugari, Zimbabwe
- Innovative Reforms for PhD Programs and Mobility at the UGB, by Mamadou Sy, Senegal
- Enhancing Doctoral Supervision in a Diverse Higher Education System, by Chrissie Boughey and Sioux McKenna, South Africa
- Programme approaches to doctoral education in Humanities and Social Sciences, by Chrissie Boughey and Sioux McKenna, South Africa
The Role and contributions of Funding Agencies and Associations
- Support to Research Training within Swedish Development Cooperation – a System Approach, by Inger Lundgren, Sida, Sweden
- Research Management in African Universities, by Patrice Ajai-Ajagbe, ACU, UK
- Studies and projects
- Innovative approaches to doctoral education - Sharing as an Instrument for Developing Institutions, by Thomas Jörgensen, EUA, Belgium
- Fostering knowledge and exchange on doctoral education in Africa - the work of ACUP , by Josep M Vilalta and Nadja Gmelch, ACUP, Spain
- Evaluating Models of Doctoral Education in Africa; Context, Practices and Tools, by Michael Cross , University of Johannesburg and Judy Backhouse, University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa
New Publications Selection of Publications received at IAU Calendar of Events